5.3.07

Uncle Sam always gets his...

So, I decided to do my taxes today. Now, you may not be aware of this, but I absolutely loathe doing my taxes. I find that it's one of life's great injustices that the government not only takes my money, but makes me do poorly documented, confusing and downright tedious paperwork just so that they can take it. You can argue with me and say that we do these things so that we can get a refund, but I usually owe, so forget you and your logic. I think the least they can do is to figure out what I owe for me. With everything going electronic, they could probably do this pretty easily, you know. After all, both my W2 and my 1099-INT were available online. I also e-filed.

Anyways, I was looking through the 1040A (why they can't call it something friendlier is beyond me) and realized there was a help line 1.800.829.1040 (ha! get their little joke in there?) I actually found this to be very helpful, as I had a question about the deduct-ability of my pension contribution to the MA State Retiree System. I called them, and got someone on the phone that spoke English very well, and lacked any accent whatsoever. I asked if I could deduct that on line 12a.

"Well, no, but you're not likely to get audited, so no one really cares," replied the woman - Linda, I think her name was. Needless to say, I was stunned virtually speechless. I couldn't say anything except mutter a flaccid "excuse me?"

"Well, the difference it will make in your taxes is pretty minute, and our computers won't catch that, because it's not a documented item. It's an unqualified plan, but it probably shouldn't be, so you should be fine."

I think I stammered out a "thank you," but all I really remember is hanging up. I went back to the form and put 0 in line 12a. I finished up my return and wrote a check out to my dear Uncle Sam. Even now, I'm not sure whether I'm more stunned that the IRS has a technical support line, or that the people staffing it are aiding and abetting tax evasion.

No comments: